Monday, July 18, 2011

Penang Assam Laksa - My Favorite Food Places in Auckland, New Zealand

My Favorite Food: Penang Assam Laksa
Where: Great North Express
Address: 4055 Great North Road, Kelston, Waitakere (Auckland, NZ)
How much: $15.00
Taste Rating: 10 out of 10! (Oh yes!! 100% Authentic!!)
Category: Halal

Verdict: Why the need to fly back to Penang, when you can have it here in West Auckland. I would personally say, it's the Best Penang Assam Laksa I've had in my Life! Seriously, though I have tried many assam laksa's in Penang and all around Malaysia, including the famous one in Jusco, Mid Valley, I am not really a big fan of Assam Laksa's. However, the Great North Express has certainly made me fall in love with it. At first I thought, well, it's just gonna be soupy or it wont be the same and I'm gonna end up wasting it, but the moment I sipped the 1st soup and my taste bud went nuts! It was amazingly delicious and I still cant believe it tasted 100%, just like how an authentic Penang Assam Laksa should taste like! Bravo! Bravo! I really enjoyed every bit of the assam laksa to the last drop. The only problem is, the assam laksa is a Weekend Special dish. Meaning, the weekend specials menu differs every weekend. Best is to give them a call to check what's on special or when they would be serving Assam Laksa. 
I'd say, its a good marketing strategy. Makes people wonder, hmmm, I wonder what's their Weekend Special this weekend.
Great North Express can be reached on - 09 813 5088.
What else: Being a Malaysian restaurant, they also serve a good selection of local Malaysian cuisines including authentic Nyonya Kuih's. Also, another must try from their menu would be their Nasi Lemak. (Picture attached) I would definitely be writing about the best Nasi Lemak in Auckland, however, I will need to try a few more before I can choose the best Nasi Lemak. Mind you, back home, I can have Nasi Lemak all day and night if it's yummy :)

History of Penang Assam Laksa: Penang laksa (Malay: Laksa Pulau Pinang), also known as assam laksa from the Malay for tamarind, comes from the Malaysian island of Penang. It is made with mackerel (ikan kembung) soup and its main distinguishing feature is the assam or tamarind which gives the soup a sour taste. The fish is poached and then flaked. Other ingredients that give Penang laksa its distinctive flavour include lemongrassgalangal (lengkuas) and chilli. Typical garnishes include mintpineapple slices, thinly sliced onion, a thick sweet prawn paste and use of torch ginger flower. This, and not 'curry mee' is the usual 'laksa' one gets in Penang.

Coming Up Next: Chicken Curry Laksa



No comments:

Post a Comment